Saturday, April 19, 2008

Out of Athens

So I walked into one of the Avis offices this morning to see about picking up a rental car that I had reserved, and not only did they upgrade my car for free, but the car they gave me was brand new. The stokage level was very high as I tossed my boat and gear on and in it, and headed south...then west...then east and north...then south again...all without ever leaving Athens. Finally, I found someone who could actually point me to the main highway that runs north-south through the city and I was off. It's harder to find than you'd think...
Anyway, I made it out of Athens and out past Corinthos and all of a sudden the scenery began to change. Things went from dull brown rolling hills to lush gree mountinsides interspersed with cliff bands. Vineyards and olive groves were everywhere, and each little valley had water flowing through it. Not enough to paddle...but water none the less. 
I am now in Kalavrita, a beautiful little mountain town that supposedly is home to one of Greece's few ski mountains. As I look around I don't see any ski slopes or chairlifts but some of the mountaintops in the distance still have snow on them...mind you I'm sitting in shorts and a t-shirt with flowers blooming and birds chirping...almost alps-esque. I think I'm off to go find someplace to spend the night and continue to read up on my guidebook stuff, and maybe some more driving tomorrow.

Cheers,
West

No comments: